Venues

Museo de las Casas de Reales

Iglesia Regina Angelorum

Capilla de los Remedios

First judicial court in the

New World

SongSongs and Dnaces in the Royal Houses

One of the most important historic sites in the Colonial City, this building housed the administrative offices and judicial court of the Spanish colonies in the 16th Century.

 

Begun in 1511, this building hosted Viceroys, Governors and Captains General as they administered the policies and wishes of the Spanish Crown.

 

After a restoration of the building to its original appearance, during the administration of President Joaquin Balaguer, the site was rededicated as a museum, an event that was considered important enough to merit the presence of Juan Carlos I, King of Spain, at its opening ceremony.

First Colonial

site built for Dominican Nuns

Glorioso

Under the protection of the Knights of Malta, Iglesia Regina Angelorum is one of the best-preserved sites in the Colonial City. The church was finished in 1722, replacing earlier buildings that had stood here. The first Dominican nuns in the Americas  lived in a simple room on this land, and later the first female poets of the New World, Leonor de Ovando and Elvira de Mendoza also resided here.

 

Regina Angelorum  features a silver altar with the Virgin, gothic vaults, a high ceiling with dome, and a stone floor with a protected tomb that contains the earthly remains of the beloved Priest and protector of the poor, Padre Francisco Xavier Billini. 

First Private Chapel in the New World

A Renaissance Serenade

This modest-size building is located next to  the home of Nicholas de Ovando, friend of Christopher Columbus and the first Spanish governor of the Americas. 

Ovando donated this plot of land as a welcome gift to one of the most influential families on the island. The private chapel was built by the head of the household,  Francisco Davila, one of the city's councilors and later a judge in the Royal Houses.

 

The Davila coat of arms is visible  on the building's facade, and a stone on the floor with a cross bones and the Davila name marks the location of the underground family crypt.

Quinta Dominica

Centro Cultural de España

Gallery Night

16th Century Garden for the Dominican Friars

and historic site

Site for Festival2019  Pre-Festival Lecture

Quinta Dominica serves as a popular Colonial City tourist stop, educational resource, art gallery and cultural center.  Long abandoned, the site underwent a ten-year restoration beginning in 1994 that brought it back to the serene grandeur it displayed when it served as the garden to the original Dominican friars who lived and served nearby. Located across the plaza from the Convento de los Dominicos, its well-manicured gardens offer shade from mango and tamarin trees,  numerous flowers and shrubs, stone walls covered in ivy and even a water fountain. Next to the garden Quinta Dominica is a 16th Century building that once was part of the convent and later housed class-rooms for Santo Tomas de Aquino University, the first university of the Americas. 

Spanish Cultural Institute 

Pre-Festival "Charla"

Site for Festival2019 Pre-Festival Lecture

The building known as Colegio de Gorjón originated through an  initiative of the rich landowner Hernando de Gorjón. Gorjón had arrived on the island in 1502, in the same expedition that brought Governor Fray Nicolás de Ovando and Licenciado Bartolomé de las Casas.  Originally from Extremadura, he made his fortune in Azua with sugar mills.

 

Having no offspring, he decided to bequeath his property for the construction of this study. His commendable purpose did not materialize until 1550, after his death.

Years after its foundation, in 1583, it became known as the University of Santiago de la Paz.

Gallery Night:

Music & art in the Colonial City

Friday, February 22, 2019 • 7:30- 9:30 p.m.

Participating Colonial City art galleries and spaces:  

 

•  Quinta Dominica

•  Casa Quien

•  Museo Fernando Peña Defilló

•  Mamey

•  Veo Veo

•Galería Arte Berri 

How to purchase tickets for the Festival2019

Call  829 / 977-1492 

Click here to reserve or pay online