Venues

Colonial City

Iglesia Regina Angelorum

Capilla de los Remedios

Colonial City:

UNESCO World Heritage Site

Site of the Festival

Founded by Christopher Columbus on his second voyage to the New World, the Village of Santo Domingo is located at the mouth of the Ozama River. During the Colonial Era it served as the seat of the Spanish Empire in the Western Hemisphere. All of the Spanish voyages to and from the Americas included a stop  in the Colonial City.

Known as the First City of the New World, the Colonial City houses many "firsts": the first cathedral, university, judicial court, church, hospital, and even the first paved road.  It's historical importance to the entire world resulted in the Colonial City being declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1990.

Church for the Builders of the Colonial City

Site Dominican Showcase

One of the most important historic sites in the Colonial City, Iglésia Santa Bárbara was originally built of Royal Palms. The stones were quarried from this very spot and the current structure rose in 1537.

 

The building has survived earthquakes, hurricanes and attacks by invaders, and each time it was rebuilt with new additions. The structure now contains eight distinct chapels and the recent renovation has revealed newly discovered crypts, bones in the walls and a previously unknown cemetery on the grounds.

 

The church was the baptismal site of Juan Pablo Duarte, Father of the Nation, on February 14, 1813.

First Colonial

site built for Dominican Nuns

Site for Bach Brandenburg Concertos

Under the protection of the Knights of Malta, Iglésia Regina Angelorum is one of the best-preserved sites in the Colonial City. The church was finished in 1722, replacing earlier buildings that had stood here. The first Dominican nuns in the Americas  lived in a simple room on this land, and later the first female poets of the New World, Leonor de Ovando and Elvira de Mendoza also resided here.

 

Regina Angelorum  features a silver altar with the Virgin, gothic vaults, a high ceiling with dome, and a stone floor with a protected tomb that contains the earthly remains of the beloved Priest and protector of the poor, Padre Francisco Xavier Billini. 

Quinta Dominica

Convent Auditorium

Gallery Night

16th Century Garden for the Dominican Friars

Site for Festival2020  Pre-Festival Lecture

Quinta Dominica serves as a popular Colonial City tourist stop, educational resource, art gallery and cultural center.  Long abandoned, the site underwent a ten-year restoration beginning in 1994 that brought it back to the serene grandeur it displayed when it served as the garden to the original Dominican friars who lived and served nearby. Located across the plaza from the Convento de los Dominicos, its well-manicured gardens offer shade from mango and tamarin trees,  numerous flowers and shrubs, stone walls covered in ivy and even a water fountain. Next to the garden Quinta Dominica is a 16th Century building that once was part of the convent and later housed class-rooms for Santo Tomas de Aquino University, the first university of the Americas. 

Auditorum of The Convent of the Dominican Order

Site for Festival2020  Pre-Festival Lecture

The Convent of the Dominican Order has a history dating back to the original huts after the arrival of the first Dominican friars in 1510.  The current building dates from the mid 1520's and was dedicated in 1531 - 1532. Its progress, renovations and repairs lasted for decades.  The church's original wooden roof fell down during an earthquake in the 17th Century and was only replaced by the current structure's stone barrel vault in the 18th Century; finally completing the building we now know in 1746.

The auditorium is an air-conditioned room with modern seating and has capacity for multi-media presentations. It is located within the cloistered garden patio area adjacent to the convent's sanctuary.

Gallery Night:

Music & art in the Colonial City

Sites for Gallery Night

Participating Colonial City art galleries and spaces:  

 

•  Casa de Italia

• Galería Arte Berri 

•  Mamey

•  Museo Fernando Peña Defilló

•  Quinta Dominica

•  Veo Veo